If your pet has an upcoming surgery, we want to make sure you feel comfortable with the procedure. Surgery can be a scary process if you feel uncertain about entrusting others with your pet’s health. Our veterinary team puts compassionate care at the forefront of our practice, which means your pet is in good hands in our surgical suite.
How should I prepare my pet for surgery?
It’s important to closely follow our pre-surgery instructions to ensure your pet has a safe procedure. When your pet undergoes general anesthesia, we do pre-surgery bloodwork to ensure they will respond well to the medicine and procedure. We establish a baseline of their health to ensure it’s safe to perform the surgery. Your pet’s bloodwork is analysed in our in-house lab so we have all the vital information we need to proceed.
What can my pet expect during surgery?
As an anxiety-free practice, our surgical suite is built to ensure your pet is as comfortable as possible during their procedure. Our suite is equipped with monitoring equipment that allows us to assess your pet’s vitals throughout the procedure to ensure their safety. Our veterinary team of doctors and technicians are responsible for keeping an eye on your pet during the surgery, so we can act quickly if needed.
How long is the recovery process?
Your pet’s recovery time depends on the type of surgery they have. It’s important you follow our veterinary team’s post-surgery instructions closely because they help support your pet’s recovery. If you have questions about your pet’s recovery process, please contact us at 416-941-8920. Some things to be mindful of are:
- Your pet might experience a side effects like tiredness, as the anesthesia wears off
- It takes at least 24 hours after surgery for their full appetite to return
- If your pet was prescribed pain medication, administer them as directed to help ease their pain
- Ensure your pet has enough space to relax and recover, especially soft surfaces
- Limit your pet’s movement initially, ensuring they’re not doing anything too strenuous